The Writer In Residence program aims to spark accurate, diverse and positive portraits of science and scientists within mass media entertainment.
- Connect Industry Professionals with Researchers in the Lab
- Innovate unique STEM narratives
- Increase Diverse Representations of STEM Characters in Media
- Engage cutting edge research into the creative arts
- Support STEM accuracy in entertainment
Programming: The Wisconsin Institute for Discovery (WID) is committed to discovering and inspiring through interdisciplinary research conducted in a dynamic, collaborative community. Housed within the award-winning Discovery Building, WID celebrates collaborations across campus, nationally and internationally. WID’s vast research areas within Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) provides a host of new pathways to support STEM entertainment. Programming focuses on connecting writers to scientists in the lab. Inspired by Method Acting techniques, Science to Script utilizes hands-on lab experience for writers while creating an environment for science accuracy and creative muse through on-site fact checking and brainstorming with UW-Madison researchers.
Hollywood Writer’s Residency
Through immersive lab experiences, entertainment writers experience the culture, people, activities and substance of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- One Month Lab Shadowing
- Networking with Scientists, Engineers or Mathematicians
- An office at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery
- Housing Provided
- Flexible timeline – determined based on writer and scientist availability
2022 Residency applications are open on a rolling basis. Scriptwriters, playwrights, authors and musicians encouraged to apply.
Stay tuned for our next Speed-Sciencing event. An opportunity for entertainment professionals to experience lightening style discussions from leading UW-Madison Scientists.